The Lotus Flower

The Lotus Flower
It doesn't matter how your children get to you, just that they get there. However parenthood comes to you, it's a miracle."

Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Thanks for wanting to follow this journey!


I will be using this as a virtual journal throughout this adventure.. 

I have been matched with a family since March & we are in the final stages & are so close to beginning to transfer... 

I will be very honest about the entire process, so if you have any questions, please feel free to ask away. The one thing I do ask that you respect is do not ask any questions regarding compensation. That is not why I started this.. The main goal is to create a healthy baby & help an amazing couple start their family.

Hopefully this time next year, the journey will be complete!

This was on our way to meet K + M. We met them in person Easter weekend 2015. We went to the Starbucks in Manhattan, KS. 

I recognized them immediately. They are very good looking people.. Extremely tall.. Jarrid & I are both short, so we were looking up at the when we shook hands during intro's. 

I was a little nervous because I wasn't sure what to expect.. We had been emailing for 2 weeks back & forth every couple days just answering questions about our beliefs about how many babies they wanted, their views on selective reduction, how many embryos to transfer, any special restrictions during pregnancy, how involved they wanted to be with the process, who would be in the room during delivery etc. We ended up leaving the meeting hugging & exchanging numbers so we can text regularly... I left knowing that I was making the right decision.

It was one thing to talk to someone online about their loss & just see their picture. It was another to see their emotion in their faces when telling their story out loud. I could feel just how much they wanted to be parents.

*Don't you like Jarrid's "hey girl hey" wave.. Lol he makes awkward meetings easier because he is so talkative haha..

I am doing an independent journey. That means I am not going through an agency. K + M & I coordinate all the doctor's appointments, lawyers etc directly. There was a little bit of a wait between officially matching & meeting. There is a lot that has to go into coordinating everything. A lot of scheduling has to be done around my menstrual cycle. We had to wait until my next cycle & schedule appointments on a specific day in order to see what my body was doing on that particular day. Timing is everything with IVF!

May 21st I went to Kansas City to meet with the Reproductive Endocrinologist (RE). They did a saline sonogram. Saline is injected into the cavity of the uterus, enlarging it. The saline outlines the endometrium (the lining of the uterine cavity) and allows for easy visualization and measurement. It also identifies any polyps or masses within the uterus.

Then we did a mock transfer. It allows the doctor to determine the best “route” to the ideal embryo landing place in your uterus, to measure the length from cervix to that ideal place, and ensure that there are no unexpected road bumps along the way (like an undetected fibroid, scar tissue on the cervix, or other problem that may make transfer difficult).

Personally, the actual exam & mock transfer didn't hurt. It is very similar to a Pap smear. A speculum was used to help place the catheter into and through the cervix into the uterus.

I had some cramping for about 2 1/2 hours afterwards, but it was relieved with Tylenol.

It felt like the longest 5 days ever waiting for the results... 
Even though I have given birth to 2 healthy kids, I was so nervous that something was going to be wrong & my body wouldn't be able to "perform" for them... I was afraid something was going to show up on the images & that they would have to start all over with someone new. 

This was the final go ahead that we needed! 

We didn't want to do the counseling or contracts because I would hate for them to have to waste money on a psych & lawyers if I wasn't going to be medically cleared to proceed with IVF.

Next step is to do counseling. One with Jarrid & me, one with K + M & then one with all 4 of us together.

On June 1st, we had our first session with the counselor. Kim has been involved in many adoptions, but never a surrogacy, so we will be her first one! 

She is very easy to talk to & I will be seeing her throughout the pregnancy & for 2 sessions after. She seems genuinely concerned about my wellbeing, K + M's emotional wellbeing & the future wellbeing of the child(ren) we are trying to bring into this world.

She asked the normal questions about our home life, background, my calling & what type of support I will have... 

Overall, she said it seems like we have the ideal situation for a successful surrogacy. K + M will be meeting with her Saturday & then we will all be meeting together Monday night!



Had a nice dinner at AJ's NY Pizzeria with K+M. Got to discuss more surrogacy things... They do their counseling tomorrow & then group counseling Monday..

I should be getting a call from my lawyer this week & we will sign our final contracts..

June 21st I should be starting medications!!! First week of August is our approximate transfer date !!

Had our last counseling session with K+ M. Talked with Kim about how everyone was feeling up to this point.. What emotions everyone was going through. Main emotion was excitement & anxiousness to get everything started! Got the "green light" from Kim to proceed. The letter in the envelope will be given to the RE & that's her stamp of approval that we are good to move forward. 
Just waiting on contracts to be finished being drawn up before I can start meds! 

Next time we see K + M will probably be on transfer day smile emoticon yay!


Went & met with my attorney today...

Definitely some things that need to be added for both parties protection, a few oversights... But overall a good start.

Probably won't be able to start meds this cycle, since it should be here any day... But everything will be completed by next cycle!

I am anxious to get everything started, but this is one of the most important parts & it's better to be protected. Can't rush the process! Thankful to have a knowledgeable & thorough attorney!


Yay! Had an appointment today, June 30th... My ovaries are "quiet" and we are ready to start medication. 

We will be signing our final contract & I will be taking estrogen 3x a day starting tomorrow. Waiting for my blood work to come back & will get my full med schedule hopefully by the end of the day. 
Coming back to KC on the 23rd to see how my body reacts to the medication & making sure my lining is thick enough for transfer. As long as everything looks good, we should be transferring an adorable little embryo on the 29th!!


Ready, Set, Goooooooo! 

I am so very excited! 

The clinic called & moved the transfer to August 4th at 12:30, as long as my body responds well to the medicine!

July 12th
Just an update... Still taking the estrogen. I am not really having side effects. Kind of moodier than usual, but nothing too crazy. Today I am a little more fatigued & hungry than usual... Probably has to do with the extra estrogen in addition to what my body naturally produces. Next appointment is on the 24th!


July 20th 
Had a little spotting over the weekend which freaked me out a little... Talked to the RE this morning & said it's normal.. 
We have our lining check on Friday. Cross your fingers that I am at least a 7 & have a triple stripe of endometrial lining! Those are the ideal conditions for an embryo to dig deep & implant itself! 

Drinking POM juice is a wives tale that supposedly helps increase blood flow to the uterus & thicken lining... I am willing to do almost anything to make this baby stick!



Soooooo. My lining is at a 5.4 right now..  :[ They took blood & will be calling me soon to find out what we are doing next.. Probably upping meds & drinking a shit ton more Pom juice.
But I did have  lunch with K + M at a really good BBQ place- Oklahoma Joe's BBQ.. Probably the best BBQ sauce I have ever had.. They bought me a big bottle of the spicy BBQ & a sandwich to take home to Jarrid. They really are super amazing people & so optimistic about everything!

They just called & said estrogen levels are good. Almost at 500. But wants me to continue with 3x a day oral estrogen & add a vaginal estrogen at night. Come back on the 30th @ 9am to see what we are at before starting the progesterone. Still on track for a Aug 4th transfer!


1 comment:

  1. Superb. I really enjoyed very much with this article here. Really it is an amazing article I had ever read. I hope it will help a lot for all. Thank you so much for this amazing posts and please keep update like this excellent article.thank you for sharing such a great blog with us. expecting for your.
    Best types of surrogacy treatment in noida
    Best Fertility Centre in Noida

    ReplyDelete